Monday, July 21, 2014

These are a Few of My Favorite Things: Popcorn Seasonings

Happy Monday everyone! I hope you had a great Sunday! Growing up, we had a family tradition every Sunday evening after church in which we would watch some kind of movie/TV show while eating popcorn with cheese and apple slices (my mother refers to this combo as the fab three). More specifically I remember watching Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom or The Goonies in my parents bedroom while scarfing down my own bowl of popcorn. I believe this had also been a tradition for my mom growing up as her siblings do this as well. This was a normal thing to me, apple slices and popcorn just go together like peanut butter and jelly in my world!

It wasn't until I married Josh that I realized most people didn't have this same tradition. Strange people. Now, Josh too, loves (or at least tolerates) popcorn and cheese slices. We don't do it every Sunday, but I'm sure once we have kids it will become more of a regular occurrence. It's a cheap meal and fun tradition all in one!

On to one of my favorite things- Popcorn seasonings!

I can still remember the very first time I tried popcorn seasonings. I don't remember the movie, but Josh and I had gone to a movie and I ecstatically dumped a generous amount of cheesy jalapeno flavoring onto my popcorn. I loved it so much, that my gracious husband (at the time, boyfriend I think) kept getting up during the movie to replenish my supply after another layer of seasoned popcorn had gone. By the end, he just went ahead and bought me a glorious cylinder of seasoning for my very own! (I may or may not bring my own seasoning to the movies now to prevent this problem from occuring)

Cheesy jalapeno is still my favorite flavor, but there are so many! And now you can hardly go to any movie theater without them having several options. Even our small town drive-in theater has several. To whomever thought of this idea- I would love to shake your hand, sir/ma'am.

You can also mix the seasoning with other things as well. I mixed some cheesy jalapeno with mashed potatoes once, which made them that much more tasty! On the Kernel Seasons website they have different recipes that you can use their different seasonings (is it seasonings? or seasons? I'm going with seasonings...) to flavor with. And if you haven't caught on yet, I'm all about using things in a creative and unconventional way!

So now the Sunday evening tradition goes- popcorn, cheese slices, apple slices, popcorn seasoning. What is your favorite seasoning? Does your family have any quirky traditions? Hope you have a fab Monday, friend!
In His hug,
Molly Brooks

P.S.- If you are enjoying our blog so far, please be sure to follow us so that we can also follow your blog! If you don't have a blog you can easily subscribe with your email in the little box in the right column (it does not show up on a mobile web browser). We won't send you anything annoying or spammy, just updates every so often about us, the Brooks's.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, that was a family tradition called feeding a big family a nutritious meal on a budget. We all liked it. I usually just use salt and butter but love jalapeno cheese with my popcorn so maybe I should try that seasoning..

    ReplyDelete

Pin It